Located along the beautiful coastal waters of Vancouver Island, Cermaq Canada Ltd. is a salmon farming company focused on operational excellence. With our skilled team, we strive for a high quality product achieved through sustainable aquaculture practices. We uphold several ISO standards as well as other industry recognized certifications. Our award winning safety culture and opportunities to develop and grow within the company makes Cermaq a great place to build or continue your career.
If you possess proven leadership skills, a safety mindset and a passion for fish production – then we want to hear from you! Cermaq Canada is currently looking for a full-time Hatchery Manager to join our Fresh Water team in Port Alberni, British Columbia.
In your role as Hatchery Manager you will be responsible for providing leadership, overall management, and direction on all aspects of fresh water production and facility operations to meet the strategic mandates of the department. The Hatchery Manager will be assuming this leadership role at our Boot Lagoon Hatchery facility adjacent to Great Central Lake. Boot Lagoon Hatchery is one of four freshwater hatcheries for Cermaq Canada.
- Provides leadership and direction to the hatchery team from egg take to smolt transport off-site to ensure that production remains on budget and within targets
- Advises the Fresh Water Director on hatchery production progress and adjusts the production schedule as needed due to changing conditions in the fresh water or salt water division
- Implements actions and programs at the hatchery that improve the health of the salmon through its fresh water cycle in order to maximize survival and performance in the saltwater phase
- Collaborates with the Fresh Water Operations Manager and the Fish Health department to ensure an on-going monitoring and preventative approach to hatchery systems, plant maintenance, and fish health programs which meet or exceed regulatory compliance
- Directs accountability for all operational aspects of the hatchery site including but not limited to such items as site order and cleanliness, reporting requirements and maintaining equipment in optimal condition
- Coordinates with the Broodstock and Transport Manager to ensure the effective movement of broodstock, eggs and smolts
Human Resource Management
- Promotes and maintains a positive and workplace that treats all persons with respect and dignity devoid of discrimination, bullying or harassment
- Promotes compliance to all safety procedures to ensure the health and well-being of all persons
- With strong leadership skills, oversees direct reports to ensure that they have the resources required to complete their accountabilities
- In collaboration with Fresh Water Manager and Human Resources, makes recommendations concerning the development and performance management of hatchery employees
- Establishes performance standards for all direct reports then evaluates and monitors progress in order to maximize their effectiveness
- University or college degree in biological science or a related field
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in a site management role in the aquaculture industry which includes working with strategic budgets and production goals
- Hands-on experience working with Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS)
- Proven interpersonal and communications skills
- Prerequisites to hiring include a physical fitness assessment, criminal record check and employment reference verification
- In this non camp-based position, the successful candidate is expected to live within a reasonable commute from the hatchery facility with access to their own timely and reliable transportation
- Some regional travel may be required
Compensation & Benefits
- Cermaq offers a competitive salary and a corporate bonus program
- Company benefits are available after the successful completion of a 3-month probation period including BC Medical Services Plan, Extended Health & Dental, insurance benefits and a matching RRSP program
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please email your resume stating “Hatchery Manager” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5:00 PM (PST) November 16, 2018.
For more information about Cermaq please visit www.Cermaq.ca.
Please note that if a suitable candidate is identified, this position may be filled prior to the closing deadline.
Cermaq Canada is an equal opportunities employer who
provides a workplace that is free of discrimination