This position is responsible for increasing our positive impact on fishermen, fish farmers, and the environment by growing sales of Fair Trade Certified™ seafood. As the Business Development Manager for seafood, you will develop and execute a strategy to increase the number of businesses offering and promoting Fair Trade Certified seafood in alignment with organizational goals and strategies of the Seafood team. You will manage and cultivate important relationships to ensure Fair Trade is a part of our partners’ CSR and sustainable supply initiatives and continuously look for ways to grow Fair Trade Certified seafood business by working closely with CSR, marketing, supply chain, and purchasing teams.
- Develop and manage relationships with seafood brands/importers/distributors and other supply chain actors to grow sales of Fair Trade Certified seafood.
- Develop relationships with national retailers and food service operators to ensure Fair Trade Certified™ is part of their CSR and sustainable sourcing strategies.
- Develop and adapt sales tools; drive the sales process from prospecting to close, which may include cold calling and making formal presentations.
- Communicate the business, social and environmental advantages of Fair Trade certification to various levels in the organization in a way that it is understood, valued, and demonstrated.
- Support development of revenue projections for seafood and help deliver against projections.
- Contribute to strategy development in the seafood category and support initiatives that require cross-team interaction.
- Provide key partners with marketing support appropriate for the size of the opportunity.
- Identify when and how to engage our supply chain team to secure partnerships.
- Work effectively as a team member, supporting peers, and providing insights and solutions to help improve external customer service as well as internal procedures; attend seafood team meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of experience in sales, new business development, account management, or consulting
- 3+ years with the seafood industry is a plus
- Marketing and/or sales experience with food retailers (Grocery/Mass/Drug/Club), or consulting experience is preferred
- Demonstrated selling success with complex programs and long-selling cycles
- Comfortable interacting with everyone from Fortune 100 to smaller seafood businesses, brands, and retailers
- Understand sustainable, economic, and social development programs and approaches
- Proficient basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office; experience with Salesforce a plus
- Can travel frequently to meet with prospective partners, attend trade shows, or industry events
- Can act as an individual contributor, but excel at collaboration and working as a team player with your peers and external constituents to deliver the best results
- Track record of exceptional customer service, supported by excellent written, technical, and verbal communication skills in English. Additional global language is an advantage.
- Able to prioritize work effectively, problem solve, and handle detail-oriented projects in a systematic and highly organized manner in a fast-paced environment
- A passion for Fair Trade USA’s mission, vision, and accomplishments
Time Commitment: this is a full time exempt employee time bound position of 12 months from the date of hire. Potential to renew after one year is funding dependent.
Interviews will be held after January 3, 2018
Location: Oakland, CA preferred
To Apply: Please submit both a resume and a cover letter to the attention of Fair Trade USA Seafood Program