Operations Director, Spain
Andromeda Group is a fast growing group of companies in the Mediterranean Aquaculture industry. The operating structure of five efficiently sized clusters strategically located in Greece and Spain enables distribution throughout Europe and North America within 48 hours from harvesting. The main attribute of Andromeda Group is the high quality and true freshness of its products, combined with a sophisticated distribution network.
Andromeda Group currently employs a total of 640 people and is vertically integrated with operations in fry, farming, packaging and value-added products (VAP). Sea bream, sea bass and corvina are the main species that the company produces. With the support of AMERRA Capital Management LLC, an independent investment firm focused on the international seafood and aquaculture industry, Andromeda is aiming at establishing itself as a leader in Mediterranean Aquaculture.
On June 20, 2018, Andromeda Group announced that it has agreed to acquire, subject to merger control approvals and other customary conditions, majority stakes in two large Greek fish farming companies: Nireus SA and Selonda SA. On February 15, 2019, the transaction was approved by the European Commission, subject to certain remedies upon the completion of which closing of the transaction will take place. The transaction includes the participation of Mubadala Investment Company as shareholder in the combined business, together with Andromeda’s majority partner AMERRA Capital Management LLC.
This hands-on senior level position reports to the COO and is responsible for overall management of Andromeda`s production in Spain. The Operations Director will oversee production in hatcheries, nurseries, sea farms and one processing plant. An experienced middle management team with responsibility for daily operations, administration, OH&S and HR supports the Operations Director. The Operations Director will provide technical, operational and planning leadership for total aquaculture operations, and will work closely with the COO. The Andromeda operations in Spain currently have a staff of 300 individuals.
- Ensures that a safe working environment exists for all employees and that as a minimum the complete business meets the standards set out in the Group Health & Safety policy.
- Directs the operations of the Andromeda production department in Spain, in order to meet agreed output targets within the boundaries of operating and capital expenditure budgets.
- Directs and develops the middle management and supervisory team overseeing all functional departments within Operations. Oversees maintenance department to coordinate and prioritize support and provide continuous improvement in all operational areas.
- Oversees all fish health and disease management activities.
- Develops regular forecasts for stocking, harvests and total biomass. Provides regular updates to the CEO on availability and requirements.
- Develops an annual production budget, with a strong focus on ensuring delivery of key performance indicators and targets.
- Develops and implements strategies to reduce the overall costs of production without sacrificing targets and/or quality.
- Leadership & Communications - Ensures that regular interdepartmental communication and planning takes place.
- Harvesting & Processing – Works closely with Sales to meet all inventory and sales requirements.
- Fingerlings - Manages hatchery operations in order to meet stocking and third-party sales targets.
- Data and Reporting - Supervises data collection and maintenance of information management systems to ensure that accurate production data is available. Prepares and circulates forecasts, KPI`s, fish health analyses, and other production information to senior management and other personnel (as required).
- Fish Health – Develops and implements strategies, policies and procedures to maximize fish health including biosecurity, sanitation and disease management.
- Maintenance and Facilities – Responsible for strategic planning related to physical infrastructure, oversight of planned and emergency maintenance, and day-to-day operations of physical plant and life support systems.
- Staffing & Training – Works with HR to develop and implement a staffing and training program that facilitates continuous improvement in employee training and skill levels and enhances retention and morale.
- Process Improvement: Identifies issues and opportunities for improvement; recommends options, develops action plans, implements approved changes.
- Capex Planning & Execution – Formulates Capex needs for maintenance and expansion and in cooperation with Purchasing and Finance. Oversees constructions and installations.
- Close cooperation with Operations Directors in Greece in order to benchmark/ improve processes.
In order to succeed in this position, we believe some essential competencies are:
Acting on own initiative, making things happen and accepting the responsibility for results. Focusing on bottom-line by identifying potential risks and monitoring the financial impact of activities. It is important to be systematic and structured, and also to support / encourage the team by inspiring and keeping them focused on the objectives. To quickly understand and analyze complex issues and problems and come up with sound and rational judgements.
The successful candidate will have 10+ years of large-scale aquaculture production experience, including broad expertise in the technical aspects of marine and land-based recirculating aquaculture, processing, production management, financial and operational planning and general business operations. Supplemental business education will be considered a plus. The ideal candidate would have a broad international experience, with proven adaptability to different work environments.
Fluency in Spanish desired, but not required.
Competitive salary and benefits with expatriate benefits, as appropriate.