VP of Hatchery, Nordic Aquafarms Inc (North-America)
VP of Hatchery will be responsible for production in one of the world´s largest land-based salmon farms. As part of the key leadership team in one of the North American business units, the VP will have direct responsibility for production planning; staffing and compliance activities; and daily operations; and quality assurance for smolt activities. The scope of the smolt operation includes hatchery operations to a post-smolt size for further grow-out.
The VP will have his/her own production team, with their own resources plus rely on or be dependent on internal quality functions related to water quality, feed quality assurance, lab services, fish health, etc. The position will be measured primarily on the fulfillment of quality smolt. The VP will have an experienced peer group in salmon production and RAS technology, both in the US and internationally.
- Production and budget planning
- Fulfillment of smolt according to plans and budgets
- Recruitment, training, and retention of production team members
- Ordering of eggs
- Quarantine operations
- Directing quality assurance activities in smolt
- Risk management
- Fish welfare and smolt quality
- Compliance with company best practices and applicable laws/permit requirements
- Production reporting
- Experience with RAS (recirculating aquaculture systems) is required
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in aquaculture and commercial production management, including operations manager track-record
- Theoretical know-how and practical experience with salmon, fish welfare issues, water chemistry, and production logistics.
- Documented production planning experience.
- Effective in prioritizing and making decisions.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a matrix organization.
- International mindset, international experience/exposure will be a plus.
- Track record of collegial, collaborative work style across a diversity of perspectives with a record of success; has built and maintained close working relationships with internal audiences for mutually beneficial outcomes.
- A sense of humor and a self-managed ego.
- A BA/MS/MA in aquaculture, marine biology or similar.
Nordic Aquafarms offers a generous compensation and benefits package including but not limited to medical, employer-sponsored Health Services Account Plan, 401K with employer Safe Harbor matching, three weeks paid vacation, and much more.
We will also assist with visa and moving to the US when relevant.
To excel in this role, you enjoy being in charge. You can lead and direct others while keeping your team focused on objectives. You exude confidence and are self-assured even in unfamiliar situations and groups. You are at ease during presentations and formal events. Also, in this role, you understand the broader perspective; realizing and considering the wider and longer-term consequences of incidents, plans, and activities. You'll prioritize following procedures; always respecting the rules and regulations; while seeing tasks through to the end. You understand the importance of paying close attention to quality issues.
Quickly grasping complex issues and problems; identifying the core of a problem, and evaluating information thoroughly is part of your skillset; as well as working with concepts, models and strategies. You like and seek intellectual challenges.
Nordic Aquafarms Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.